UC Merced Cultural Center Guidelines
Section A: Guidelines for Community Agreements
We want this to be a space in which historically and continually marginalized students of color, which include their intersectional identities as womxn, income-insecure, LGBTQ+, non-binary, gender non-conforming, differently abled-bodied, international, immigrant, non-traditional students, etc. can feel safe expressing themselves, their lived experiences, knowledges, without being the target of oppression. We commit to remaining conscious of our own positionality in this space.
- Any behavior- physical or verbal- that demeans, marginalizes, excludes, or dominates others, and/or perpetuates hierarches, is not welcome.
- Be aware of the range of different identities (race, gender, class, sexuality, age, ability, place of origin, citizenship status, etc.) that people may identify with, and avoid generalizations or assumptions about people
- Always seek active consent and agreement of all peoples prior to verbal, emotional, spiritual, physical, sexual and personal contact
- Always engage in the space as you feel comfortable. Do not feel pressured to interact or involved more than you feel willingful to do so. Personal care is also about personal consent with yourself.
- While ground rules are a collective responsibility, everyone is personally responsible for their own behavior
- Any form of Media, Photography, Video, and/or audio recording of individuals without their prior written, free, and informed consent, is not permitted in this room, as it is a safe space.