UC Merced Cultural Center Guidelines
Section E: Guidelines for Supporting Queer and Trans Students
We want this to be a space in which historically and continually marginalized student of color, which include their intersectional identities as womxn, income-insecure, LGBTQ+, non-binary, gender non-conforming, differently abled-bodied, international, immigrant, non-traditional students, etc. can feel safe expressing themselves, their lived experiences, knowledges, without being the target of oppression. We commit to remaining conscious of our own positionality in this space.
- Integrate LGBTQ+ issues into the work you are doing instead of separating it. As an ally, educate yourself, make space, and think about how you can use your privilege to support the work of LGBTQ+ students through active consent.
- Support the lives of queer and trans* students, with various intersectionalities and identities.
- Learn and practice proper and respectful language and vocabulary for the LGBTQ+ community
- Challenge stereotypes that people may have about LGBTQ+ individuals in our society. Challenge derogatory remarks and jokes made about any group of people. Show you r support and allyship for the LGBTQ+ community; never reinforce stereotypes, myths, prejudices, discriminatory statements.
- Respect the privacy of students who may seek you out for support, information or resources; keep their trust in you confidential.
- If you believe someone may hurt themselves or others, please refer them to the following resources:
- Valley Crisis Center
- 24-Hour Hotline: 209-722-4357
- Merced Office: (209) 725- 7900
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Respect students’ changing experiences of self as they explore their identities, acknowledge where the students are in their process
- Respects students’ rights to remain private; there can be tremendous negative consequences to coming out for many students, particularly trans* communities, and trans* students of color, including the loss of life, friends, family, financial support and safety.