LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative
LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative
Welcome! The LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative is a monthly initiative for LGBTQ+ and ally students to build relationships, find community, and learn how to create a more inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ students on campus. Focusing directly on developing leadership skills, building collaborative networks and advocating for the LGBTQ+ community, the LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative will educate, inspire, and empower the next generation of leaders through a social justice lens.
The LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative is developmental program open to 20 LGBTQ+ and allied identified students. The collaborative helps LGBTQ+ and Ally students to understand what it means to be a queer leader in todays society, assists them in developing strategies for addressing inequalities with an intersectional approach and building a sense of community with others. This program can help expand on leadership skills gained in programs such as the P.A.W.S. Leadership Seminar from the Margo Souza Leadership Center.
LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative Learning Objectives:
Students who complete the LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative will:
- Develop a greater understanding of their personal identities, particularly sexual orientation, gender identity/expression and leadership
- Articulate the diversity within the LGBTQ+ community in regards to sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religion, spirituality, and disability
- Demonstrate the ability to build community through collaborations
- Develop an ability to manage and resolve interpersonal conflict
- Understand the different roles of LGBTQ+ allies, advocates and activists
- Gain and/or support a sense of commitment to improving social and political outlook for the LGBTQ+ community
- Gain knowledge of and ability to articulate the contemporary issues facing the LGBTQ+ community
- Develop personal and leadership skills, including but not limited to time management, effective written and oral communication, conflict resolution, teamwork, group facilitation, and peer education.
By applying to this program, you agree to complete the following requirements:
- Attend monthly LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative Workshops
- Attend the LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative Retreat
- Complete LGBTQ+ Leadership Readings
- Maintain a LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative Journal
The LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative Workshops will take place in the OSL Conference Room (KL 184) from 4-5:30pm on the dates below:
Oct 13th Nov 10th Feb 9th Mar 9th Apr 13th May 11th
The LGBTA+ Leadership Collaborative Retreat will take place on Feb 25th 2016.
Who Can Apply:
LGBTQ+ and Ally identified students interested in participating in this program must meet the below criteria:
- Identify as LGBTQ+ or Ally
- Be in good academic and judicial standing
~Good academic standing means you have a cumulative UC grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 and your last completed semester grade point average (GPA) is at least 2.0
~Good judicial standing means are currently not on university probation
If you do not meet the above criteria but would still like to apply to participate in the LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative, please contact Angi Baxter at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an interview.
What do you need to apply:
To be considered, you must qualify with the “Who Can Apply” criteria and complete the application questions located at http://tiny.cc/LLC2016 no later than Oct 3rd 2016 at 11:59pm.
If you are selected to be part of the LGBTQ+ Leadership Collaborative, we will notify you after Oct 6th 2016.
- About OSL
- Program Areas
- Business Center
- Civic Leadership
- Clubs & Orgs
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Margo F. Souza Student Leadership Center
- Office of Student Conduct
- Social Justice Initiatives
- Student Involvement & Transitional Programs
- Student Government (ASUCM)
- Women's Programs
- Lift While You Lead
- Programs & Events
- LGBTQ+ Initiatives
- Contact Us